Executive Chef Ryan Kluver leads the kitchen at both Wally’s Beverly Hills and Wally’s Santa Monica and is passionate about highlighting quality, seasonal ingredients in every dish he creates! Read below for his bright and decadent Spring King Salmon Recipe (and the perfect wine pairing to go with it!)
by Chef Ryan Kluver
Ingredients (Serves 4)
• 4 filets wild salmon
• Olive oil
• Salt and pepper
• 2tbl unsalted butter
• 1 recipe ricotta gnocchi
• 1lb chanterelle mushrooms, or a mix of wild mushroom
• 4c mixed spring peas; Sugar Snap, Snow and English
• 1/2 tbl chopped garlic
• 1 tbl minced chives
1. Pre heat oven to 375 degrees
2. In a medium sauce pot heat mushroom and herb infusion to a slight simmer. Hold for final service.
3. Heat an oven safe cast iron pan over medium high heat. Season salmon filets with olive oil, salt and pepper. Sear filets in hot pan until golden brown and transfer to oven to continue cooking to desired temperature; about 3 minutes for medium rare, 5 minutes for medium, 7 minutes medium well. Remove salmon from oven and set aside for final plating.
4. While salmon is cooking in oven heat large nonstick sauté pan over high heat. Add 1 tbl of butter and sauté gnocchi until golden brown and crispy, remove from pan and return pan to heat. Add remaining 1tbl butter and sauté mushrooms until golden and add mix of spring peas. Cook vegetables until beginning to color and return gnocchi to pan. Stir in chopped garlic, cook about 30 seconds and remove from heat. Off heat add in chopped chives and stir through out.
To serve place gnocchi and peas in 4 large pasta bowls, set salmon filets on top and scatter optional herb garnish around. Pour hot mushroom broth over herbs and allow to infuse 30 seconds. Pour hot broth over salmon and vegetables.
• 1 cup fine grated Parmesan
• 1 cup ricotta
• 2 whole eggs
• 2 egg yolks
• 1 1/2c ap flour
• 1 tbl chopped thyme
• Salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
In a large mixing bowl combine Parmesan, ricotta, whole eggs and yolks, salt, pepper, grated nutmeg. Mix in ap flour and stir to form soft, smooth dough. Roll dough out into gnocchi and blanch in boiling salted water until floating at the surface and cooked through. Remove gnocchi, cool on an oiled tray and set aside until ready to use.
MUSHROOM AND HERB INFUSION
• 8 oz mixed mushrooms
• 2 cups filtered water
• 1 leek, white part only, split in half
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 branch celery, chopped
• 2 cloves peeled and smashed
• 1 piece kombu
• White soy or tamari to taste
Herb pot for infusion; including optional mix of soft herbs including lemon thyme, lemon balm, dill, chive, spring garlic, lemon verbena.
For mushroom broth combine mushrooms, water, leek, garlic, celery, bay leaf and kombu in a medium sauce pot and cover with lid. Bring to a simmer and cook over a low flame for 30 minutes. Strain broth into clean pot and season to taste with white soy. Hold broth until ready to serve and pour over herb pot the surface and cooked through. Remove gnocchi, cool on an oiled tray and set aside until ready to use.
TO SERVE place gnocchi and peas in 4 large pasta bowls, set salmon filets on top and scatter optional herb garnish around. Pour hot mushroom broth over herbs and allow to infuse 30 seconds. Pour hot broth over salmon and vegetables.
2018 Hampton Water Rosé
Wally's Price: $25.00
Hand-picked and crafted to perfection, Hampton Water Rosé is a blend of Grenache, Cinsault and Mourvedre grapes. Gorgeous strawberry, raspberry, and melon flavors delight the palate while its bright, crisp acidity leads to a mouthwatering finish. Elegant and smooth, yet incredibly refreshing makes Hampton Water Rosé the perfect pairing for light, spring dishes at all of your backyard soirées!